Are Your Roommates’ Belongings Covered Under Your Home Insurance Policy?

If you share a home with other individuals, it may be good to know if their belongings are covered under your homeowners insurance. If you are not a relative or married, chances are that homeowners insurance may not cover any roommates belongings. Kimble Brown Insurance Agency of Southlake, TX specializes in homeowners insurance and can help.

Homeowners Insurance

In general, homeowners insurance covers:

  • The structure of the actuals owners home

  • Property and belongings of the homeowner or relatives inside the home

  • Liability

What his means is if you are the owner, a relative of the owner or are married to the owner, you will have your possessions covered. Friends and non-relatives will not have property and belongings covered in this situation. Your spouse can be added to the homeowners policy if that is the wish of the homeowner. Separate insurance will need to be obtained by renters and friends who reside in the home though. Renters insurance is something that should be considered. 

Renters Insurance

Renters insurance does not cover the actual structure of the home that an individual is renting space in. If there is some type of disaster or theft, renters insurance can help protect and cover your possessions where homeowners will not. As a homeowner, it is good to remind roommates and non-relatives. They will need to know that in order to have their possessions protected, a separate individual policy will need to be obtained. Often this is overlooked as many will assume that the actual homeowners insurance covers everything in the house.

If you need a policy for homeowners or another type insurance, Kimble Brown Insurance Agency of Southlake, TX can help. Our experienced agents can work with you to get the type of coverage you need. Give us a call to schedule an appointment today.