The holidays are a time of joy and spending time with loved ones. However, this can also be a time when the risk of house fires significantly increases. Electrical fires and neglect of Christmas trees are some of the most common causes of fires in Southlake, TX during the holidays. Kimble Brown Insurance Agency has gathered a few tips for electrical safety to prevent the risk of a fire during the holidays.
Avoid Overloading Electrical Outlets
The holidays often mean the inclusion of extra lights and decorations, many of which require electrical power. Faulty wires and overloaded electrical outlets are common causes of holiday fires, so it’s important to only plug one high-wattage item into each outlet at the same time. Only use extension cords that do not have frayed wires and that are safe for use indoors and stated for outdoor use when using for exterior lights.
Before using any decorations, carefully inspect them. Check for fraying, loose bulbs, and loose wires. Decorations that have been stored since last year may have damages that weren’t there when they were last used. It’s common for age and pests to destroy decorations that were perfect when you put them in storage, so don’t risk a fire by not inspecting each decorative item.
Holiday trees require water to avoid drying out. A dry tree that is adorned with electrical decorations is a disaster waiting to happen. Check the water for the tree every day and refill as needed. Never leave lights and other decorations plugged in while you are away from home or while you are sleeping. To prevent the risk of the tree falling on children or pets, keep them away from the tree or place a smaller tree on a table out of their reach.
Residents of Trophy Club or Southlake, TX interested in learning more information about home insurance should contact Kimble Brown Insurance Agency.