Will flood insurance cover damage to anything in my condo?

As a condo owner, you want to know that your unit and personal belongings are protected in the event of some unfortunate incident. If you live in a flood zone, you have probably purchased flood insurance. Both condo and flood insurance provide protection for condo owners. However, in a flood, it’s still good to know what’s covered. Our team at Kimble Brown Insurance Agency is committed to helping Texas condo owners understand how flood insurance works and what’s covered. 

What is Flood Insurance?

A flood is defined as a build-up of water on land, usually dry. The main purpose of flood insurance is to cover/insure damage to your home or condo unit, car, and personal belongings if a flood damages them. Flood insurance would need to be purchased separately from condo insurance and cover flood damage to your unit. Flood insurance covers any losses caused as a direct result of flooding. 

What Does Flood Insurance Cover?

If a flood damages your condo, your flood insurance will pay to repair or fix the damage and replace damaged or destroyed items. The replacement cost is usually the actual cost of the damaged item or the actual cash value, whichever is less/lower. Specifically, flood insurance provides building coverage and contents coverage. This includes your walls, foundations, fixtures, cabinets, wallboards, and paneling. Flood insurance will also cover repairing and replacing your electrical and plumbing system, furnaces and water heaters, solar equipment, and well/fuel tanks. Your flood insurance policy will also cover your:

  • Garage
  • Refrigerators
  • Stoves
  • Dishwashers
  • Personal belongings
  • Furniture
  • Carpeting
  • Clothing
  • Artwork and Valuables (limitations may apply)

Your flood insurance may also include trash and debris removal. If you have any questions regarding what’s covered under a flood insurance policy, please call us.